Missouri Dairy Scholars Scholarship Program
The Missouri Dairy Scholars Scholarship Program is established to encourage more young people to pursue careers in agriculture in Missouri. Subject to annual budget appropriation, the program establishes scholarships, subject to the eligibility criteria listed, for eligible students in an agriculture-related degree program who make a commitment to work in the agriculture industry in Missouri as a condition of receiving such scholarship. Subject to appropriations, each year the Missouri Department of Agriculture, Missouri Agricultural and Small Business Development Authority (MASBDA), shall make available to eligible students scholarships, in the amount of $5,000 dollars each to assist with the cost of eligible students’ tuition and fees at a two-year or four-year college or university in Missouri.
Who is Eligible?
An Eligible Student is an individual who:
- Is a United States citizen and a Missouri resident who has graduated from a Missouri high school with a cumulative grade point average of at least two and one-half (2.5) on a four-point (4.0) scale or equivalent;
- Is pursuing, or has attained, an agriculture-related degree approved by the Missouri Department of Agriculture, MASBDA and offered by a two-year or four-year college or university in Missouri;
- Signs an agreement with the Missouri Department of Agriculture, Missouri Agricultural and Small Business Development Authority, in which the recipient agrees to work in the agriculture industry in Missouri for at least two years for every one year the recipient receives the Missouri Dairy Scholars Scholarship;
- Maintains a cumulative grade point average of at least two and one-half (2.5) on a four-point (4.0) scale or equivalent while enrolled in the college or university program; and
- Works on a dairy farm or has a dairy-related internship for at least three months (minimum of 400 hours) of each year the recipient receives the Missouri Dairy Scholars Scholarship.
- The applicant must be enrolled in a two-year or four-year Missouri college or university as a full time student (minimum of twelve credit hours) each semester.
- Except that, in any year in which there are less than eighty United States citizens and Missouri residents who shall be awarded scholarships, applicants who are legal United States residents who meet all other eligibility requirements shall be eligible for the remaining scholarships.
Evaluation and Funding Criteria
- Scholarships will be selected on a competitive basis. Each application will be evaluated and rated using the following criteria:
- Agriculture-Related Degree
- Dairy-Related Work Experience or Internship
- Career Plans
- Year in School
- Resume and letters of recommendation highlighting experiences, talents, and expertise
- Academic Achievement
- In the event the Missouri Dairy Scholars Program is not fully funded in any one year, resulting in a limited number of available scholarships, applications will be awarded beginning with the highest score and proceeding until funds are exhausted.