Farmers’ Market Promotion Matching Grant Program
The Farmers’ Market Matching Grant Program is a reimbursement grant program funded through the Missouri Department of Agriculture. This grant awards up to $1,000 for reimbursement of expenses associated with promoting Missouri’s farmers’ markets. Projects should promote the farmers’ market in the local community and improve understanding, perception, knowledge of and location of the market. Projects must advertise the farmers’ market name, location, days and hours of operation. Projects should strive to increase customer attendance at the market. Projects must be matched on at least a dollar for dollar basis to meet eligibility.
This is a competitive grant program and funds may be used to:
- Support the farmers’ market promotion and advertisement, encouraging an increase in customer attendance to the market.
- Provide awareness to communities about the farmers’ market location, times of operation and products sold.
All awarded projects must be approved by MDA. Grant recipients, once notified, must provide full details of the grant project for approval to ensure full reimbursement.
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) defines a farmers’ market as a “Market that features two or more farm vendors selling agricultural products directly to customers at a common, recurrent physical location.”
Examples of eligible expenses:
- Permanent Signage
- Advertisement and Marketing – radio or print advertising
- Social Media boosts
Examples of ineligible expenses:
- Food purchase
- Salaries/payroll for employees
- Donations/contributions to fundraisers
- Reprinting of existing promotional materials or labels already utilized by the farmers’ market
- Directional or parking signs on market grounds
General Information and Submission Guidelines
Maximum award amount: Up to $1,000
Deadline for submission: February 18, 2022
Anticipated award date: March 4, 2022
Project approval date deadline: March 18, 2022
Reimbursement requests must be received by: May 27, 2022
- Only Missouri farmers’ markets are eligible to participate in this matching grant.
- Farmers’ Markets must register as a Missouri Grown member.
- Paid receipts are required for any funds to be dispersed. All invoices must include proof of payment and a $0 balance.
- Applicants must show how matching funds will be contributed through the project as cash, in-kind or other.
- Each project expense item must include the Missouri Grown logo for reimbursement.
- • Digital media or radio advertisements must include a written script including a similar statement to “This ad is brought to you by the Missouri Grown program.”
- Evidence of completed promotional materials/projects must be included with the Project Inspection Notice.
- Priority will be given to markets that have not received grant funding from MDA previously and markets that have successfully completed grant projects in previous years.
- Failure to complete and postmark documentation by May 27, 2022 may result in the forfeiture of funds.
- Failure to meet all of the requirements of the grant may result in the forfeiture of funds. Please read rules and guidelines carefully.
- Applicant must provide at minimum a $1:$1 match for the project.
- Matching funds can be cash match or a combination of cash and in-kind.
- Cash match must be greater than 50% of the total match.
- • The Missouri Grown logo is a registered trademark of the Missouri Department of Agriculture and cannot be altered in any way. No other logos from the Missouri Department of Agriculture should be used on farmers’ market materials unless approved.
- Farmers’ Markets awarded funding may use the Missouri Grown logo according to the approval provided within the grant award.
- Use of the Missouri Grown logo by individual vendors requires prior authorization by the Missouri Department of Agriculture.
Applications may be submitted to:
Missouri Department of Agriculture
Farmers’ Market Promotion Matching Grant
Ag Business Development Division
1616 Missouri Blvd.
Jefferson City, Mo. 65109
Or electronically to: