Missouri Agricultural and Energy Saving Team - A Revolutionary Opportunity (MAESTRO)
Energy Efficient Farmstead Retrofit Program
Legal Authorization: U.S. Department of Energy, Energy Efficiency and Conservation
Competitive Block Grant (DE-FOA-0000148)
MAESTRO offers tools and incentives for farmers to improve energy efficiency on livestock farms. The program provides the following assistance to farmers:
- Loan Loss Reserve Program encourages lenders to finance the energy efficiency improvements on both the farm and home,
- Home Energy Audit
- A comprehensive BPI certified energy audit.
- Farm Energy Management Plan (EMP)
- Shall mean a comprehensive energy audit that includes detailed recommendations about specific equipment and field operations completed in accordance with the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE) Standard 612.
- Technical Assistance
- Calculate the energy savings from a specific technology or system installed on the farm.
- Loan Loss Reserve
- A dedicated fund established for the purpose of payments of defaulted 75 percent guaranteed loans. The total outstanding loans guaranteed shall at no time exceed an amount which according to sound actuarial judgment, would allow immediate redemption of 10 percent of the outstanding guaranteed loans by the fund at any one time. MASBDA has no legal or financial obligation beyond the funds committed to the loan loss reserve and is not subject to further recourse in the event losses exceed the amount of the loan loss reserve. The projected energy savings from the installed retrofit(s) must provide at least a 15% energy savings to qualify for this incentive.
Who is Eligible?
- Animal agriculture farmers not required to be permitted as a confined animal feeding operation (CAFO),
- Applicant must be a legal resident and at least 18 years old,
- Applicant must be able to provide proof of citizenship or immigration status, identity and residence. If the borrower employs laborers, he/she must also provide proof of enrollment and participation in the federal work authorization program.
- An eligible lender is any state or national bank, farm credit system, bank for cooperatives, federal or state chartered savings and loan association, federal or state building and loan association, or small business investment company all of which must be subject to credit examination by an agency of the state or federal government,
- Eligibility will not be determined or otherwise affected by any consideration of race, religion, sex, creed, color, or residence, other than the individual borrower must be a legal Missouri resident at least 18 years of age, and the farm and/or farm house must be located in Missouri.
Records: MASBDA reserves the right to ask for additional information necessary to ensure program eligibility.
Audit: MASBDA reserves the right to audit approved loans to ensure compliance with program requirements.
If a property or building has historic value, a determination must be made whether the recommended energy retrofits will have an adverse effect on the historic significance before MAESTRO funds can be approved.
For more information, please contact the Missouri Agricultural and Small Business Development Authority.