Focus on Missouri Agriculture Photo Contest
2017 Focus on Missouri Agriculture Photo Contest
Send us your best snapshots of Missouri Agriculture for this year’s Focus on Missouri Agriculture photo contest! In 2016, we received a record breaking 980 entries showcasing Missourians’ passion for and commitment to the state’s No. 1 economic generator – agriculture.
Contest entries will be displayed in the Agriculture Building at the 2017 Missouri State Fair in Sedalia, and winners will be recognized at the 2017 Missouri Governor’s Conference on Agriculture.
Photos were accepted through Thursday, June 15, 2017. Check back early next year for the start of the 2018 Focus on Missouri Agriculture Photo Contest.
Eligibility – The contest is open to any amateur photographer and a special prize will be awarded to the best photo submitted by a child, age 12 and under. Photographers may submit up to three entries per category, and the entries must show some aspect of agriculture including food production or agritourism in Missouri.
Want to check out this year’s competition? Check out our Flickr stream at http://flickr.com/moagriculture.
Beauty of the Farm – Missouri is home to lush landscapes, rolling hills and stunning sunsets all found right in our very own backyard. The beauty of the farm is captured through a love and respect of the land and a dedication to a better tomorrow. Photographs should show the pictorial, scenic or graphic nature of Missouri farms, farming or agricultural products and represent the beauty of your farm.
Faces of the Farm – Individual people coming together with their unique personalities, ideas and work ethics are what make Missouri great. We want to see the portraits of Missouri’s farmers, farm families and people who make agriculture special doing what they do every day, working the farm! The story of agriculture is often told in the people who work and live on the land, so show us the faces of your farm.
Farmer’s Life – The life of a farmer is unique and always interesting and sometimes surprising. With things constantlychanging, photos help capture the humor, drama and fun of the farm that makes this lifestyle worth living. Work, play, friendship or farm families sharing their love for one another – it all tells the story of the farmer’s life!
Farm Selfie – We know life on the farm can be unpredictable. Sometimes you don’t have time to grab your camera and line up the perfect shot that showcases your love for Missouri agriculture. For the farm selfie category, we encourage you to pull out your smartphone, snap a selfie and capture the authenticity of life on the farm.
Pride of the Farm – There is plenty to be proud of when it comes to Missouri’s farms and ranches. We know you are pleased with your trusty tractors, lush fields, healthy livestock and all the hard work that goes into them, so don’t be shy, show them off! Showcase what makes you proud to be a Missouri farmer.
Children’s Barnyard – We are amazed by the talent of the children here in Missouri. Through 4-H or encouragement from parents, children across the state are taking incredible photos of what agriculture means to them. That’s why we created a category specifically for children age 12 and younger to showcase what they are doing on the farm and in their communities.
Open to children age 12 and younger. All types of agriculture and farming-related pictures are eligible. Parent/guardian approval required.
The photographer taking this year’s Best of Show photo, and all five category winners, will enjoy a plethora of Missouri grown products provided by contest sponsor Missouri Grown. Prizes will be awarded as follows:
Best of Show - $150 Missouri Grown Market Gift Card and canvas print of winning photo
Category Winner - $50 Missouri Grown Market Gift Certificate and canvas print of winning photo
- Beauty of the Farm
- Faces of the Farm
- The Farmer’s Life
- Pride of the Farm
- Farm Selfie
Entries submitted by photographers age 12 and under are eligible for separate judging. The winner of the Children’s Barnyard category will receive a $50 gift card to the Missouri Grown Market at the 2017 Missouri Governor’s Conference on Agriculture.
Children’s Barnyard Winner - $50 Missouri Grown Market Gift Certificate and canvas print of winning photo
Children’s Barnyard Honorable Mention – Canvas print of winning photo
- Photos must show some aspect of agriculture including food production or agritourism in Missouri.
- Photos must have been taken in Missouri since January 1, 2014, by the person submitting the image.
- Limit of three entries per category per photographer.
- Photographers may receive the “First Place” award in only one category
- Significant digital manipulation of photos is not allowed. Normal cropping, color correction, etc. are acceptable.
- Employees of the Missouri Department of Agriculture and their immediate families are not eligible.
- Photos entered in the contest may appear on the Missouri Department of Agriculture’s website, Flickr page and in department publications. Winning photographs will be displayed at the Missouri State Fair and the Missouri Governor’s Conference on Agriculture.
All the photos entered in this year’s contest can be found on the Department's Flickr stream.
Best in Show:
“Generational” by Megan Lowery of Puxico, Mo.
- “Grandpa’s Last Ride” by Juliane Sykes of Chillicothe, Mo.
Beauty of the Farm:
- 1st Place: “Harvest Sunset” by Suzanne Loepker of Beaufort, Mo.
- Runner-up: “Dusk to Dawn” by Ashley Homan of Pilot Grove, Mo.
- Honorable Mention: “Stargazing” by Christine Peper of Jefferson City, Mo.
- Honorable Mention: “Grazing” by Aubrey Fletcher of Purdy, Mo.
Faces of the Farm:
- 1st Place: “Ol’ Farmer Brown” by Nova Hughes of Bolckow, Mo.
- Runner-up: “Is that good?” by Christine Mattson of Conception Junction, Mo.
- Honorable Mention: “Generations are Cowboys” by Krystal Simpson of Salem, Mo.
- Honorable Mention: “Got ‘Em” by Ashley Homan of Pilot Grove, Mo.
- 1st Place: “New Day, Same Job” by Laura Bardot of Lonedell, Mo.
- Runner-up: “Grandpa’s Last Ride” by Juliane Sykes of Chillicothe, Mo.
- Honorable Mention: “Old Planter” by Audra Linebaugh of Marceline, Mo.
- Honorable Mention: “Favorite Boots” by Steve Eichelberger of Columbia, Mo.
Pride of the Farm:
- 1st Place: “Goat Farmer” by Ashley Homan of Pilot Grove, Mo.
- Runner-up: “Till the Sun Goes Down” by Laurie Link of Meadville, Mo.
- Honorable Mention: “Matt’s Truck” by Kari Frey of St. Louis, Mo.
- Honorable Mention: “Soybean Harvest” by Russell Flair of Blackburn, Mo.
- 1st Place: “All Eyes on the Camera” by Donna Lindahl St. Dennis of Knob Noster, Mo.
- Runner-up: “Daddy’s Little Farmer” by Samantha Olsson of Warrenton, Mo.
- Honorable Mention: “Farm and ‘Her’” by Aubrey Fletcher of Purdy, Mo.
- Honorable Mention: “Hereford Love” by Kenadee Barnitz of Lake Springs, Mo.
- 1st Place: “Just Like Mama” by Samuel Jordan of St. Joseph, Mo.
- Runner-up: “Bacon in the Makin’” by Devyn Keller of Farber, Mo.
- Honorable Mention: “Grain Truck Switches” by Kendall Link of Meadville, Mo.
- Honorable Mention: “Hungry Chicken” by Megan Weaver of Savannah, Mo.