August 07, 2009
Cross J Vineyard Norton Takes the Cup
(Jefferson City, Mo.) - This week at a ceremony honoring Missouri's wine industry, Missouri Department of Agriculture Director Dr. Jon Hagler and Missouri Wine and Grape Board Executive Director Jim Anderson presented Stone Hill Winery's 2007 Cross J Vineyard Norton with the coveted 2009 Missouri Governor's Cup. Labeled as the best wine in Missouri, the Cross J Vineyard Norton takes the top prize in over 220 wine entries in the Missouri Wine Competition held in July.
"Missouri wineries contribute significantly to our state's economy and provide some of the greatest wines in the country," said Dr. Jon Hagler. "It is an honor to present this coveted award to the Held family and Stone Hill Winery and we thank them for their contributions to the state and the industry."
The Governor's Cup winning Norton was selected from a field of 12 Best of Class honorees including:
- Sparkling - Brut Imperial, Mount Pleasant Winery
- Dry White - 2008 Chardonel, Montelle Winery
- Semi-dry White - 2008 Dry Vignoles, Montelle Winery
- Sweet White - 2008 Vignoles, Stone Hill Winery
- Dry Red - 2007 Cross J Vineyard Norton, Stone Hill Winery
- Semi-dry Red - Reserve Red, Augusta Winery
- Sweet Red - Riefenstahler, Adam Puchta Winery
- Blush - Two Brothers, Twin Oaks Vineyard & Winery
- Fruit - Strawberry, St. James Winery
- Late Harvest/Ice - 2008 Late Harvest Vignoles, Stone Hill Winery
- Dessert/Fortified - Signature Port, Adam Puchta Winery
- Distilled - Peach Brandy, Montelle Winery
"We are really proud," said Thomas Held of Stone Hill Winery. "This is our third vintage from the Cross J vineyard site and we're really glad we've gotten this far this fast."
The awards were based on blind tastings by 11 expert judges from around the U.S., including California New York. Judges awarded 42 Gold, 54 Silver and 64 Bronze medals during the two-day competition held in Columbia, Mo.
Gold medal award winning wines will be on display in the Agriculture Building at the Missouri State Fair in Sedalia from August 13-23. For a complete list of winners in the Missouri Wine Competition, visit missouriwine.org.