Missouri Laws & Regulations for Animals & Livestock
Use this page as a resource of helpful links to Missouri laws and regulations specifically related to animals & livestock.
Livestock Import Regulations
Permits are required to import some animals to Missouri. If you have questions about the animals you are importing to Missouri, or need a permit, please call 573-751-3377.
The livestock import permit office can provide specific information on all of the entry requirements for any animal species, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Central Standard Time.
Check out https://www.interstatelivestock.com/ for import regulations.
For further information on requirements, contact the Division of Animal Health at (573) 751-3377.
Enforcement Citation Powers
Under the Diseased Animal Law, the department has the authority to enter any premises, barns, stables, sheds, vehicles, or other places to check for livestock disease or animal health violations. If a violation is discovered, a citation can be issued. An alleged violator found guilty of violating animal health laws is subject to civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation. Potential violations include failure to secure required tests on animals, failure to secure a health certificate, alteration of official documents, removal of or tampering with official animal identification, etc.
For further information, contact the Division of Animal Health at (573) 751-3377 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dogs & Cats
- Diseased Animals Law - RSMo, Sections 267.010 - 267.730
- Disposal of Dead Animal Law - RSMo, Section 269.020
- Marks and Brands of Animals - RSMo, Sections 268.011 - 268.171
- Missouri Livestock Marketing Law - RSMo, Sections 277.010 - 277.215
- Stockyards, Grain and Produce Exchanges - RSMo, Sections 276.010 - 276.661
Milk & Dairy
- Missouri Manufacturing Milk and Milk Testing Laws – RSMo, Sections 196.520 – 196.610
- Missouri Unfair Milk Sales Practices – RSMo, Sections 416.410 - 416.560
- Raw Milk - RSMo, Section 196.935