Missouri stands strong on proud traditions of farming, family and community. The Missouri Department of Agriculture is seeking ways to enhance the quality of life in those communities by developing solutions to meet this challenge: what will it take to be more?
If farming has one overarching purpose, it’s to feed people. Food is one of the most basic human needs, but for some Missouri families it’s not a given. We believe we can make affordable, nutritious and safe food more available to Missouri families.
Grow MORE Initiatives:
- Analyze, highlight and strengthen current business programs available to Missouri farmers and ranchers
- Increase awareness and assist in the response to food insecurity in the state
From peaches to pork, Missouri farmers raise the highest quality food products in the world while being good stewards of our natural resources. Rebuilding the trust in food decisions is essential. We believe we can reach more consumers with the positive story of Missouri farm families.
Reach MORE Initiatives:
- Enhance the Department’s disaster preparedness and response capabilities
- Increase Missouri citizen engagement with MDA through social media and face-to-face interaction
- Build consumer awareness of food, fiber, forestry and fuel production through outreach, education and marketing
Rural communities are at a competitive disadvantage when it comes to business development, healthcare, education and farming techniques because of a lack of high-speed Internet. We believe we can connect every last mile in more Missouri communities.
Connect MORE Initiatives:
- Work with the Missouri Department of Economic Development to build partnerships and facilitate policy discussions to increase rural Missourians’ access to high quality, accessible broadband
- Assess workforce needs in agriculture and build partnerships to address skill gaps and labor shortages
- Increase user functionality of Department websites, focusing on easy access to resources
- Enhance our culture of open communication and better connect employees to their role in MORE
One thing is clear: farmers just want to farm. They are the true experts in animal care and agriculture stewardship. We believe we can empower more Missouri farm families for generations to come.
Empower MORE Initiatives:
- Launched The MORE You Know video series promoting careers in agriculture.
- Cut red tape for Missourians by reducing, streamlining and clarifying regulations
- Establish a taskforce on future agriculture education and training in coordination with K-12, postsecondary and industry representatives
- Increase domestic and international market opportunities by collaborating with business and other organizations
- Establish customer satisfaction surveys for 19 department programs
- Promote the advancement and stewardship of crop protection technology
- Promote employee development training and empowerment
- Create a formal succession plans for supervisory and unique technical positions