April 08, 2015
Missouri State Fair Scholarships Awarded to 4-H and FFA Youth
Recipients to be recognized at State FFA Convention in April
(SEDALIA, Mo.) – Missouri State Fair Director Mark Wolfe announced today that 32 youth, selected from Missouri 4-H and FFA, will be awarded scholarships by the Missouri State Fair Foundation Youth in Agriculture (YIA) committee. These students are seeking higher education in agriculture-related fields, and will receive their scholarships Friday, April 17, during the annual State FFA Convention in Columbia.
“The Youth in Agriculture tradition financially assists Missouri's next generation of agriculture leaders with their educations," Wolfe said. “Gracious agricultural supporters, who give back year after year, make these scholarships possible.”
The scholarships are funded by the Missouri State Fair Foundation and by YIA supporters at the 2014 Sale of Champions; a list of those supporters and auction results is available on the Fair's website.
Scholarship applicants were evaluated in a variety of areas including Missouri State Fair participation, grade point average, community involvement and leadership roles. Since 1992, the YIA committee has awarded 506 scholarships totaling $453,000.
Bailey Kemp, of Auxvasse, has been selected to receive the $5,000 platinum scholarship offered by YIA supporters. Walter Schaefer, of Callao, has been selected to receive the $2,500 supreme scholarship, sponsored by Sydenstricker John Deere of Missouri/Sydenstricker Angus Genetics. The youth chosen to receive $1,500 scholarships, sponsored by the Missouri State Fair Foundation and YIA supporters are:
• Sydney M. Anderson, of Tipton
• Shelby Lynn Bagnell, of Slater
• Dalton John Bargfrede, of Alma
• Hannah Lynn Boatright, of Sedalia
• Austin Boland, of Sweet Springs
• Dane Michael Brammer, of Gallatin
• Jessica Cobban, of Fair Grove
• Martha Cowherd, of Blackburn
• Alexander Coulter Engeman, of Montrose
• Brant Francis, of Paris
• Allison Frappier, of Columbia
• Abilene Gatson, of Vandalia
• Lauren Haley, of Chillicothe
• Jacob D. Hoellering, of California
• Addison Jackson, of Miller
• Olivia Loges, of Sweet Springs
• McKalie Lorenz, of Pilot Grove
• Alysa Lyle, of Sheridan
• Brett Mason, of Paris
• Russell Henry Mitchell, of Paris
• Andy Mott, of Rocheport
• Cassandra Rankin, of Columbia
• Lynsey Rector, of Fair Grove
• Cody Schniedermeyer, of Skidmore
• Claire Silvers, of El Dorado Springs
• Teanna McKay Simpson, of Thayer
• Allison Stiens, of Maryville
• Mackenzie Stumpe, of Mexico
• Tannah Terry, of Gallatin
• Sydney Laurel Thummel, of Sheridan
The YIA committee is comprised of volunteers from across the state who work throughout the year to raise funds for the annual Sale of Champions auction and scholarships. This year’s auction will be held Saturday, Aug. 22, in the Lowell Mohler Assembly Hall on the fairgrounds.
The 113th annual Missouri State Fair, themed “Show Offs Welcome” will be held Aug. 13-23 in Sedalia. For more information about the year's fair, visit www.mostatefair.com, follow the Missouri State Fair on Facebook and Twitter or call 1-800-422-FAIR (3247).