August 14, 2012
Missouri Departments of Transportation, Ag Work to Allow Heavier Loads of Grain on Highways
As the harvest season approaches, farmers in some areas of Missouri are carefully watching river levels in light of Missouri's extremely dry conditions. Lower water levels on the Missouri and Mississippi rivers can limit producers' ability to move grain and other farm products by barge.
The Missouri Department of Agriculture requested, and the Missouri Department of Transportation agreed, to allow heavier than normal loads of grain throughout the harvest season. Farmers, private and for-hire motor carriers may carry up to 10 percent more than their licensed weight on Missouri highways. However, the heavier loads are not allowed to use interstate routes.
Overweight permits will not be required. All other traffic and motor carrier regulations that normally apply remain in place. This waiver is in effect through December 31, 2012. While the waiver is in effect, participating motor carriers are limited to:
- A loaded, gross weight no greater than ten percent (10%) above the gross licensed weight of the commercial motor vehicle,
- Transportation only within the State of Missouri,
- Drivers must obey all posted bridge weight limits,
- When crossing a bridge, the driver must restrict the vehicle speed to no more than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) and must center the truck between two lanes of the bridge. The truck driver must yield to oncoming traffic, and
- Travel on highways other than Missouri interstate and national defense highways – No travel is allowed on Missouri interstate highways or national defense highway routes.
All travelers are advised to visit the MoDOT Traveler Information Map at www.modot.org for up-to-date road closure information.
For questions, call 1-800-877-8499 between 7:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Time. At other times, call (573) 291-4517.
National defense highways in Missouri include:
U.S. 65 - between Interstate 70 and U.S. 60 in Springfield, Mo.
U.S. 60 - From U.S. 65 in Springfield to U.S. 63 in Cabool, Mo.
U.S. 63 - From U.S. 60 in Cabool to the Arkansas state line
U.S. 71 - from Kansas City to the Arkansas state line
U.S. 50 and Mo. 23 - From Whiteman Air Force Base to I-470 in Kansas City
Mo. 17 and U.S. 63 - From Fort Leonard Wood to U.S. 60
Note: This release was originally published by the Missouri Department of Transportation and posted online at http://contribute.modot.mo.gov/newsandinfo/District0Release.shtml?action=displaySSI&newsId=174290