Food Insecure Urban Agriculture Matching Grant Program
The FY22 Food Insecure Urban Agriculture Matching Grant Program is funded through the Missouri Department of Agriculture. This grant is for reimbursement of expenses associated with addressing food insecurity in urban areas, as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau.
Eligible projects must benefit residents affected by food insecurity in urbanized areas in Missouri. Projects should support farmers’ markets, apiary programs, and other economic development initiatives that work to reduce food insecurity in urbanized areas. Projects must reside within urbanized areas within counties containing at least one “urbanized area,” as defined by the United States Census Bureau. Urbanized Areas are found in: Boone, Buchanan, Cape Girardeau, Cass, Clay, Cole, Greene, Jackson, Jasper, Newton, Platte, St. Charles, and St. Louis counties and St. Louis City.
This is a competitive grant program and funds may be used to:
- Increase food production and availability within an urbanized area
- Demonstrate growth of local economic communities
- Increase local economic impact
- Increase the availability of food to local residents
- Enhance already established areas within a community and provide assistance to the community
Examples of eligible expenses:
- Project-approved supplies
- Reconstruction of facilities
- Expansion of current facilities
- Feasibility study
Examples of ineligible expenses:
- Food purchase
- Fuel expenses
- Salaries/payroll for employees
- Donations/contributions to fundraisers
- Supplies/expenses not previously approved
- Building lease costs
- Costs incurred through other MDA financial opportunities
General Information and Submission Guidelines
Program funds available:
Maximum award amount:
Deadline for submission:
Anticipated award date:
Reimbursement requests must be received by:
up to $400,000
September 30, 2021
October 15, 2021
April 1, 2022
- Applicant must provide at minimum a $.25:$1 match for the project
- Matching funds can be cash and in-kind. A cash match must be greater than 50% of the total match for eligibility.
Successful applicants must submit ALL required completed documentation including detailed paid receipts/invoices, final report and completion notice no later than April 1, 2022. Reimbursements will only be made for expenditures accrued during the grant period and for receipts submitted for approved project. Invoices must show a $0 balance and proof of payment. Receipts must include purchase details.
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible for a grant award:
- The applicant must be registered to do business in Missouri and in good standing with the Secretary of State, if applicable;
- The applicant must complete and submit Form 943 to obtain a tax clearance certificate (valid for 90 days) from the Missouri Department of Revenue for each owner and the business.
- The applicant must not employ illegal workers and must provide proof of enrollment in E-Verify; and
- Prior to award reimbursement, the applicant must register as a vendor with the State of Missouri through the MissouriBUYS web portal.
Projects must be ready for inspection and inspected by Missouri Department of Agriculture staff prior to reimbursement of any funds. Project inspections will be completed by May 1, 2022.
Available funds are for the current 2022 fiscal year. Failure to complete documentation by April 1, 2022, will result in the forfeiture of funds.
Informational Webinar Recording
This recording discusses the application process and answers frequently asked questions regarding the Food Insecure Urban Agriculture Matching Grant.
Applications may be submitted to:
Missouri Department of Agriculture – Food Insecure Urban Agriculture Matching Grants
Ag Business Development
Attn: Alexis Jose
P.O. Box 630
Jefferson City, MO 65102
FAX: (573) 751-2868
Or electronically to: