Urban Agriculture Matching Grant Program
The Urban Agriculture Matching Grant Program, funded through the Missouri Department of Agriculture, awards grants of up to $10,000 for reimbursement of expenses associated with urban agriculture. Urban agriculture encompasses urban agricultural projects, which may include introducing a new crop or product to an area, expanding the use of or adding value to agricultural products. Projects should assist the development of small agribusinesses, production infrastructure, direct distribution venues and workforce development. Projects that demonstrate an economic benefit and potential for sustainable revenue generation and job creation will be given priority.
This is a competitive grant program and funds may be used to:
- Develop small agribusinesses and implement production infrastructure, direct distribution venues and agricultural workforce development.
- Provide training and develop skills for agricultural business sustainability.
Examples of eligible expenses:
- Business plan development
- Project-approved supplies
Examples of ineligible expenses:
- Food purchase
- Fuel expenses
- Salaries/payroll for employees
- Donations/contributions to fundraisers
- Supplies/expenses not previously approved
- costs incurred through other MDA financial opportunities
General Information and Submission Guidelines
Program funds available:
Maximum award amount:
Deadline for submission:
Anticipated award date:
Reimbursement requests must be received by:
up to $50,000
October 1, 2021
November 1, 2021
May 1, 2022
- Applicant must provide at minimum a $1:$1 match for the project
- Matching funds can be in-kind or cash match
- Cash match must be greater than 50% of total match.
|Description||Grant Request||Cash Match||In-Kind Match||Total|
|Ex. Business plan development||$1,000||$600||$400||$2,000|
Successful applicants must submit ALL required completed documentation including detailed paid receipts/invoices, final report and completion notice no later than May 1, 2022. Reimbursements will only be made for expenditures accrued during the grant period and for receipts submitted for approved project. Invoices must show a $0 balance and proof of payment. Receipts must include purchase details. Projects must be ready for inspection and inspected by Missouri Department of Agriculture staff prior to reimbursement of any funds. Project inspections will be completed by June 1, 2022.
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible for a grant award:
- The applicant must be registered to do business in Missouri and in Good Standing with the Secretary of State, if applicable;
- The applicant must complete and submit Form 943 to obtain a tax clearance certificate (valid for 90 days) from the Missouri Department of Revenue for each owner and the business;
- The applicant must not employ illegal workers and must provide proof of enrollment in E-Verify; and
- Prior to award reimbursement, the applicant must register as a vendor with the State of Missouri through the MissouriBUYS web portal.
Available funds are for the current 2022 fiscal year. Failure to complete documentation by May 1, 2022, will result in the forfeiture of funds.
Informational Webinar Recording
This recording discusses the application process and answers frequently asked questions regarding the Urban Agriculture Matching Grant.
Applications may be submitted to:
Missouri Department of Agriculture – Urban Agriculture Matching Grants
Ag Business Development
Attn: Alexis Jose
P.O. Box 630
Jefferson City, MO 65102
FAX: (573) 751-2868
Or electronically to: