Family Farm Breeding Livestock Loan Program
The Missouri Agricultural and Small Business Development Authority provides Missouri tax credits to Missouri’s lender who make breeding livestock loans to small farmers.
How Does the Program Work?
To participate in the loan program, a small farmer shall first obtain approval for a family farm breeding livestock loan from an eligible lender. The small farmer shall not be charged interest by the lender for the first year of the qualified family farm livestock loan.
Upon approval of the family farm livestock loan by a lender the loan documents to include:
- MISSOURI FORM F,
- Lender’s completed loan application, promissory note, amortization schedule, and security filings,
- Small farmer’s current financials (cannot be more than 6 months old),
- Projected cash flow, post loan closing,
- Description of livestock purchased and the purchase price, and
- Review Fee = 1.0% of loan amount
These shall be submitted for approval by the Missouri Agricultural and Small Business Development Authority (MASBDA). MASBDA’s approval process shall take into consideration:
- The small farmer’s ability to repay the family farm livestock loan,
- The purchase price of the livestock must be appropriate for the type and quality of livestock purchased,
- The general economic conditions of the area in which the small farmer is located,
- The prospect of a financial return for the small farmer, and
- Such other factors as the authority may establish based on individual loans’characteristics.
Who is Eligible?
“Small Farmer”: A farmer who is a Missouri resident and who has less than $500,000 in gross agricultural product sales per year.
“Lender”: Any state or national bank, farm credit system, bank for cooperatives, federal or state chartered savings and loan association, federal or state building and loan association, or small business investment companies all of which must be subject to credit examination by an agency of the state or federal government.
Loan Amount and Terms
“Maximum eligible loan” cannot exceed 90% of the cost of purchasing breeding livestock. The maximum amount of loan for each type of livestock is:
- Beef cattle - $150,000
- Dairy cattle - $150,000
- Sheep - $60,000
- Goats - $60,000
- Swine - $70,000
Tax Credit Amount
The maximum amount of tax credits that may be issued to all eligible lenders in any fiscal year cannot exceed $300,000.
The tax credit is equal to 100% of the first year’s interest waived on a qualified eligible loan.
The small farmer must be able to provide proof of citizenship, identity, and residence. If the farmers employs laborers, he/she must also provide proof of enrollment and participation in the federal work authorization program.
Review Fee = 1.0% of loan amount.
*The tax credit application must be received within 60 days of the date of the note.
MASBDA will issue the tax credit certificate after receiving a certification from the lender of the actual interest waived after the first year of the eligible loan. The interest due certification must be received no later than 30 days after the first year anniversary of the loan.