Missouri Value-Added Agriculture Grant Program
The Missouri Value-Added Agriculture Grant Program provides grants for projects that add value to Missouri agricultural products and aid the economy of a rural community. Grant applications will be considered for value-added agricultural business concepts that:
- Lead to and result in development, processing and marketing of new or expanded uses or technologies for agricultural products; and
- Foster agricultural economic development in Missouri’s rural communities.
Applications will be considered for expenses related to the creation, development and operation of a value-added agricultural business including:
- Feasibility studies,
- Marketing studies,
- Legal assistance,
- Marketing plans,
- Business plans,
- Prospectus development for cooperatives, and
- Operational consulting
How Does the Program Work?
Proposals will be selected on a competitive basis. Each proposal will be evaluated and rated using the following criteria:
- Economic development potential for the agricultural industry,
- Credibility and merit,
- Probability of near-term commercialization and practical application of project results,
- Presence, source and level of matching funds, and
- Where the project will have an economic impact
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis and are funded twice a year, in January and July.
- *To be considered for January, 2020 funding, applications must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. October 1, 2019.
- *To be considered for July, 2020 funding, applications must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. April 1, 2020.
- Effective 8/15/2019: Faxed or e-mailed applications will be accepted. However, the original application and application fee MUST be received by overnight delivery no later than the next business day.
Fax number: (573) 522-2416 E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who is Eligible?
- Applicant must be at least 18 years old,
- Missouri resident, and
- Applicant may be groups of individuals, businesses, and organizations related to agriculture whose proposed value-added agricultural business concept is based in Missouri
Grant Amount and Terms
The maximum grant to any person, groups of individuals, businesses or organizations related to a value-added rural agricultural business concept is $200,000.
The grants cannot be used for:
- Business start-up except as detailed in program guidelines,
- Business expansion, unless qualified on the basis of program criteria,
- Paying off existing debts,
- Substituting existing efforts or research already underway,
- Covering institutional overhead costs,
- Production costs,
- Operational costs such as payroll, utilities, inventory, insurance, and advertising,
- Buying land, buildings, or equipment,
- Implementing feasibility studies, marketing studies, marketing plans, or business plans except as detailed in the program guidelines, and
- Application fee or grant writing expenses
A nonrefundable fee will be due with each application. The fee will be $150 for grant application requests of $25,000 or less and $300 for requests over $25,000. The application fee may be part of the applicant’s matching funds.
For funded grant requests, a MASBDA grant administration fee is due equal to ten (10) percent of the total grant awarded. The fee is due when the Grant Agreement is signed. The MASBDA grant administration fee may be included as part of the applicant’s grant request, or if paid by the applicant, may be shown as part of the applicant’s internal matching expenditures.
The authority also administers the Missouri Value-Added Agriculture Loan Guarantee Program.