General Questions

The following information is provided as a guide and is not a legal interpretation of the Industrial Hemp Law.

What are some of the uses of industrial hemp?

There are numerous uses for industrial hemp. Some of those include: fibrous stem products (paper products, molded plastics, textiles, construction materials, etc.); seed products (food products for human consumption, culinary oil, body care products, fuel, etc.) and floral/foliar products (CBD extracts).

What is viable industrial hemp? How is industrial hemp regulated under Missouri Law?

Viable industrial hemp is plant material capable of living or growing, including agricultural hemp seeds and propagules (transplants, cuttings, or clones). Viable hemp materials fall under the regulatory authority of the Department of Agriculture.

Nonviable industrial hemp is plant material or hemp grain that is not capable of living or growing. Nonviable hemp materials (fiber, grain, etc.) are classified as publically marketable products and do not fall under the regulation of the Department of Agriculture.

The use of hemp in animal and consumer products may be regulated by other entities.

Can hemp or hemp products, including CBD and grain, be used for animal consumption (pet, livestock, and poultry)?

Animal and pet foods ingredients must be approved by the American Association of Feed Control Officials. According to the AAFCO, hemp has not been approved for use as an ingredient for animal or pet foods.

Are there USDA programs available for hemp growers?

Persons may be eligible for many USDA programs. More information is available on USDA’s website.

Application Questions

When can I apply to grow industrial hemp in Missouri?

The Department will begin accepting applications for Producer Registrations and Agricultural Hemp Propagule and Seed Permits on Jan. 2, 2020. There will not be a deadline and applications may be submitted year-round.

What are the basic requirements for a registration or permit?

For a Producer Registration:

  1. The applicant must be a Missouri resident or the entity must be domiciled in Missouri;
  2. The registered location cannot be within a residential structure;
  3. The applicant and all key participants must pass a State and Federal Criminal History fingerprint background check and not have been found guilty of, or pled guilty to, a felony offense under any state or federal law regarding the possession, distribution, manufacturing, cultivation, or use of a controlled substance in the ten (10) years immediately preceding the application date.

For an Agricultural Hemp Propagule and Seed Permit:

  • The applicant must be a Missouri resident or the entity must be domiciled in Missouri.

What registrations and/or permits do I need for industrial hemp in Missouri?

Producer Registration: Authorizes a person to cultivate industrial hemp in Missouri. These persons are authorized to sell their harvested, nonviable products once they are confirmed to have an acceptable hemp THC level.

Agricultural Hemp Propagule and Seed Permit: Authorizes a person to sell, distribute, or offer for sale any viable industrial hemp in Missouri, including propagules (transplants, cuttings, clones, seedlings, etc.) or seed. This permit is not required for the sale of nonviable hemp products such as baled fiber stalks, denatured grain, and dried, seedless floral material. Any authorized permit holder who holds or stores any agricultural hemp propagules for more than 48 hours is considered a producer and will be required to obtain a Producer Registration.

A Missouri permit is not required for out-of-state persons to sell into Missouri unless they have an in-state presence, such as a brick-and-mortar location (even if not open to the public) or in-person sales or distribution within the state.

Will I need more than one registration or permit?

Possibly. If a person plans to operate in multiple, noncontiguous locations they may need multiple registrations or permits. If a person plans to cultivate and sell viable hemp, they will need both a registration and a permit for each location they plan to do both activities. Additional details will be provided in the Application Guide.

Will there be fees to participate in the industrial hemp program?

Yes. The application fee is $750 per application. To maintain the registration or permit, persons must submit an annual fee of $750 per registration or permit. Applications and registration fees are nonrefundable. Other fees may arise to ensure compliance with state and federal laws, including inspection, sampling, and destruction fees. Additionally, persons may elect to hire other persons or entities to complete services necessary to comply with state and federal rules.

Are there limitations to the numbers of registrations or permits?

No. Persons that meet the requirements, complete the application, and pay the required fees will be issued a registration and/or permit.

How long will the application period be?

There will not be a restricted application period or deadline. Applications will be available for submission year-round.

Are there any zoning or setback requirements for the land I’m planning to use for industrial hemp production?

Under statute, indoor industrial hemp cultivation facilities cannot be within a residence. You are encouraged to contact your local government for interpretation of municipal ordinances and regulations.

Are there security requirements such as fencing, cameras, or signage?

Registered producers and permit holders do not have security requirements such as fencing, cameras, or signage. You are encouraged to contact your local government for interpretation of municipal ordinances and regulations.

Are there any requirements for landowners if land is leased to a registered producer?

Only the person who is producing the industrial hemp is required to have a Producer Registration. If the landowner has executive managerial control in the hemp operation, they are considered a key participant must complete a background check associated with their tenant’s Producer Registration application. Additionally, landowners may be required to register with FSA. Any liability concerns should be discussed with counsel and included in a lease agreement.

Can I rent my land to people or companies outside of Missouri to produce industrial hemp?

Under statute, applicants must be a Missouri resident or be a business domiciled in the state of Missouri to obtain a Producer Registration. The Missouri Department of Agriculture does not regulate land use agreements associated with industrial hemp.

Will I be able to get a license to process hemp?

The Missouri Department of Agriculture does not issue licenses specifically for the processing of non-viable industrial hemp. The use of hemp or hemp derivatives in animal and consumer products may be regulated by other governmental entities on the state or federal level.

Registered Producer and Permit Holder Questions

What are my responsibilities if I am approved to receive an industrial hemp registration or permit?

Persons receiving a Producer Registration or Agricultural Hemp Propagule and Seed Permit must follow the requirements as outlined by the Missouri Department of Agriculture, and Sections 195.010 through 195.773 RSMo. This includes payment of fees, cooperation with onsite inspections. Persons must also comply with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, including submitting certificates of analysis for all samples used to determine compliance to the department and in a manner to be outlined by the department.

How will my crop be sampled?

Every lot (contiguous field, greenhouse, or other site growing a single variety) must be sampled within fifteen (15) days prior to harvest by a Certified Industrial Hemp Sampler. A Sampling Protocol will be provided by MDA.

Who is a Certified Industrial Hemp Sampler?

A Certified Industrial Hemp Sampler is an individual who is authorized to collect industrial hemp samples in accordance with the MDA Sampling Protocol. To become certified, a person must complete a training course, pass an examination, and submit an application to the Missouri Department of Agriculture including a nonrefundable fifty dollar ($50) application fee. Certifications will be valid for three (3) years, with continued compliance required. Certified Industrial Hemp Samplers cannot sample for a registration in their name, in their employer’s name, or in which they are a key participant. If you are interested in becoming a Certified Industrial Hemp Sampler, please check back soon for an applicable section of our website.

How will my crop be tested?

Producers are responsible for selecting a testing laboratory that fulfills all applicable laws. For the 2020 growing season, Registered Producers may select a testing laboratory that is DEA-registered or ISO 17025 accredited. A list of DEA-registered labs is available from USDA at: There is not currently a list available for ISO 17025 accredited laboratories, but many are available throughout the state. Labs will often have their accreditation status posted online. Please note laboratory qualifications may change by the end of 2020, requiring all testing laboratories to be DEA-registered.

THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is measured as outlined in state and federal rule. THC is measured post-decarboxylation or other similarly reliable methods that consider the conversion of THC-A, or total THC calculations, and are approved by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Methods that meet these requirements include gas chromatography and high-performance liquid chromatography.

A compliant sample will have an “acceptable hemp THC level” based on the laboratory-calculated “measurement of uncertainty”, which is similar to a margin of error.

From USDA: “For example, if a laboratory reports a result as 0.35% with a measurement of uncertainty of +/- 0.06, the distribution or range is 0.29% to 0.41%. Because 0.3% is within that distribution or range, the sample, and the lot it represents, is considered [compliant]. However, if the measurement of uncertainty for that sample was 0.02%, the distribution or range is 0.33% to 0.37%. Because 0.3% or less is not within that distribution or range, the sample is not considered hemp for the purpose of plan compliance, and the lot it represents will be subject to disposal.”

Certificates of analysis for all samples used to determine compliance must be submitted to the department in a manner outlined by the department. Registered producers have three (3) business days to submit non-compliant results and thirty (30) business days to submit compliant results.

What happens if my sample tests above the acceptable hemp THC level?

Producers must notify the Department of all test results demonstrating non-compliance by submitting the certificate(s) of analysis within three (3) business days of receipt. The department will provide submission instructions.

Producers may request the laboratory to retest their sample, and immediately notify the Department in writing of their intent to retest. While selecting a laboratory, producers should identify the laboratory’s timeline for retaining samples for potential retesting. The Department does not require laboratories to retain samples, but suggests they retain samples for a period of thirty (30) days after the initial testing is completed.

If no retest is requested or the retest also exceeds the acceptable hemp THC level, the Department will issue an Order of Destruction. Producers will then be required to destroy their crop in accordance with MDA Destruction Protocol. Missouri State Highway Patrol or local law enforcement must certify the destruction, and producers will be invoiced for a certification fee. Producers then have thirty (30) days to submit a destruction report to MDA.

Can pesticides be used on industrial hemp?

No pesticides labeled for use on hemp are currently registered in Missouri. In December 2019, EPA approved nine (9) biopesticides and one (1) conventional pesticide for use on hemp. EPA will continue to review new applications.

For more information on Missouri’s requirements for pesticide product registration, please visit our webpage at For the list of EPA-approved pesticides, please review EPA’s announcement on their webpage at

Where will I be able to buy hemp seed or propagules?

Once a producer has an approved registration they may purchase seed or propagules from:

Missouri does not have an approved variety list or require certified seed.

Where will I be able to sell the commodity?

The Department only has regulatory authority over viable hemp plants and seeds. It is recommended to secure a market for your commodity prior to planting.

Will I need to renew my permit or registration?

Yes. Permits and registrations will be valid for three (3) years with continued compliance. Annual fees are required to maintain a valid registration and/or permit.